Thursday, November 06, 2008

Before and After

Click the pictures to see the album of the entire process of our tree removal.
Before
















After












4 Comments:

Blogger randall said...

I sent my brother-in-law an e-mail saying that if he lived nearby we could have done the work ourselves and saved some money. This is his reply:

"almost".

I'm not insured (certified or trained)... so odds are, one of the limbs would have hit a house or a fence or something valuable.

The base of the tree looks like it was more than 36 inches, which is the "good day" (lucky cut?) limit of my 18" bar.

And you'd still have to rent a stump grinder ('cause the neighbors probably wouldn't take kindly to the "drill down the middle, and fill it with burning briquets" (burn it)).

On the other hand, you would have had a nicely split and stacked cord of fire wood (even if the wood wasn't the best for burning? what was it anyway?)... but you don't burn much wood (you should seriously consider getting the "fireplace insert" version of our stove (or a similar model?), and heating your place with wood... the next couple of years are going to be difficult (even Paul Otellini says so), which means you might want to cut back on electrical expenses (assuming anyone will deliver electricity in a reliable manor)).

Otherwise, given all the hardware they brought in, man power, and that it probably took more than 2 hours, I'd say you got a pretty good deal there.

8:32 AM  
Blogger randall said...

Here's my reply:

Ha, I knew the thought of all that firewood going to waste would get a rise out of both of you! I should have mentioned that I asked them to leave me a cords-worth and they even carried it into the backyard behind the fence where you can't see it. It's a box-elder and I have no idea if it's good wood to burn, but we'll find out.

I was quite impressed with the hard work and attention to detail these guys provided. They did a very nice job raking and cleaning up afterwards. It was an older mexican guy, his son (who you can see climbed way up in the tree in one of the first pictures) and his brother who was the lift operator. Juan told me that his other two brothers also work for the same company, so it is quite the family operation.

In saying that Pete and I could have done it I was assuming a couple of things. One that we had access to the equipment that they used (Tate's Rents has most of this stuff) and that we had some help. I think they used a 21 inch chain-saw and they barely made it through the stump. I doubt an 18-incher would do it. The stump grinder was quite impressive. I had never seen this done before.

The thing that impressed me the most was how hard these guys worked. They took a break for lunch and I brought them out some coffee in the afternoon (it was quite cold and rainy that day and they sure appreciated it) and otherwise they worked non-stop. The brother on th lift would use the chainsaw with one hand and support sections of limbs with the other holding onto them until he could lift them off and toss them down where he wanted them to land. His strenght and endurance was quite impressive. I wondered how they would get the big limbs that overhung our garage and our neighbors house and thought that they would have to use ropes and pulleys and such. It turned out to be quite a simple process with the lift of just taking off a bit at a time and tossing it over.

All in all I think if we had the equipment and Josh's help I would be surprised if we could get the same work done in 3-5 days that these three guys got done in about six hours.

8:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You 'two' are very entertaining. Lots of good humor & thoughts. The after sure makes a difference in the safety & appearance of your home. Thx for sharing :) xo Mom

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very impressive work those guys did, you can hardly see there ever was a tree there. I'm glad you got a cord of firewood out of it though. I was really sad to see all that wood loaded onto their trucks are hauled away. Box alders or just plain ole alders make GREAT firewood. Half our garage is filled with alderwood from our "neighbor" and fire buddy Mac. We hauled a bunch of free alderwood away from his property so he could plant blueberries. And his alderwood is making great firewood to keep our house warm.

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home