Sunday, December 11, 2005

Went and saw the Narnia movie last night with the family. Good Film. Go see it. If possible, I think I have read this series even more times than LoTR. The kids kept saying "that wasn't in the book" to which Birgit and I would reply "yes it was, don't you remember?" I have to say the director did one heck of a job staying true to the book. Way more so than Mr. Peter Jackson did with the aforementioned film series.

3 Comments:

Blogger Joe Garcia said...

Cindy and I saw LLW too. Overall I liked it, but the kids started to wear on me after a while. Thank goodness for battle scenes!

Just curious, does "true to the book" always make for a better film? 'Cause I really dug LOTR.

11:22 PM  
Blogger randall said...

I know what you mean about it not neccessarily being a better film. Birgit and I discussed it more later and decided it was missing the charm and awe that should have been a part of this film. Birgit gave the example of the very first appearance of Darth Vader when you KNOW this is going to be one very bad dude just by his appearance, his 'swagger' and the music that accompanies him before he even says a word. On the other hand when Aslan first appears he is 'just a lion' and the filmmakers are counting on you already being familiar with the charachter from the book or something because he certainly doesn't make the impression that he should. Another annoyance is the "he's not a tame lion, but he is good" throwaway line near the end. This was a huge point for Lewis and recurrs in the later books.
So all of that to say that while I still think they stayed truer to the book than did LoTR, it wasn't a better overall film. I still liked it though!

6:56 AM  
Blogger eric keck said...

it would be a great double feature though... lotr trilogy then all the chronicles books...

i hope they make the other books

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home