Saturday, April 12, 2008

Oh baby, I got my bike back after a much overdue trip to the shop. I dropped it off on Thursday and they had called me originally to say they hadn't had any luck in isolating it. They called back Friday morning to say they had run a compression test and the 3 cyls were 105, 75 and 25 pounds. Yeeeuck! The question was what was causing the difference. My friend Lyndon and I were a bit concerned that it was burned valves and would need a valve job at the minimum. It turned out to be the other alternative and the valves had been over-tightened to the point they were losing compression. They said someone had monkeyed with the carbs as well and put the wrong jets in them. They put in the correct jets and did the valve adjustment. The adjustment was supposed to be done at the 24k mile service the previous owner had done. Either the shop that did the work didn't or they really botched the job. In any case it is fixed now and is like riding a new bike. I really thought it ran ok before but it simply hums now. More power and a nice steady idle. The bad news is I will probably have to wait until next winter to really test the cold start problem, but I suspect that's done it. (I posted the complete story here: http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4338)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home