Been thinking a lot about John 14:21 lately. Partly thanks to my friend Thom and mostly because I think that's what the Spirit is doing in my heart lately. I like the Eugene version:
"The person who knows my commandments and keeps them, that's who loves me. And the person who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and make myself plain to him"
although the point comes through in whatever version you choose. I do like the KJV "I will love him, and will manifest myself to him" however. I think the language is more powerful than "make myself plain." I have been thinking about what it means to see God while doing the things He has commanded us to do. I know the times when He has made himself plainest to me are the times when I am doing just that, and the more fully I am engaged (like on a short-term mission trips abroad), the 'plainer' He is. I think this was one of the biggest reasons I was so drawn to the idea of full-time missions work. If I could serve full-time, then I would experience God full-time. I know this is not necessarily the case and there would be dry times in the mission field as well, but I hate the idea of becoming complacent and 'distracted' in day to day life.
I like the whole U2 "Get Up Off of Your Knees" idea of 'don't just talk about it and listen to others talk about it, but get up and do it!' I want my family (especially the kids) to experience God through keeping His commandments. I like that VCF Boise makes it so easy by having these myriads of opportunities to serve just by showing up! My plan is to take everyone out once a month to the "Feeding God's Children" ministry to the poor in a downtown park. I know it's not the same as "fully engaged" in the mission field, but for now, short of dragging the whole family off to Nicaragua or Africa, it'll have to do!
Randall's Blog:
A place for inspection and introspection




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home