Sunday, March 19, 2006

Well, after weeks of constant pain and discomfort, the doctors have come back with a diagnosis of gall bladder dysfunction and I have an appointment to have it removed and a hernia repaired at the same time (talk about multitasking!) I have gone back and forth on whether or not slicing and dicing is the best cure for what ails me, but I am assured by the doctors, my wife and quite a bit of web research that it is the best thing to do.

I have already had quite the educational experience starting out with a trip to the hospital for a blood test to rule out appendicitis. After that was done and the problem still didn't go away, I got to experience my first CT scan. That was interesting and not quite what I had expected. After watching them on TV (thanks Dr. House ;) I was expecting a machine that buzzed and clunked. Instead it was a donut-shaped ring that had an x-ray mechanism that spun around inside it at high speed. That test confirmed that everything was where it should be and was its right size, but I did have a hernia on the opposite side from where I was having the pain. So I then got referred to a surgeon who sent me to take a HIDA scan on suspicion of having gall bladder dysfunction. They injected me with a radio-active dye (along with some less pleasant things) and then photographed me with a gamma camera (I told Toby that I would be changing into the Hulk any minute) for a span of 2 hours. Birgit and I got to watch my internal organs glow on a CRT screen for the entire time. What a romantic, bonding experience. Thanks Hon!

This test confirmed that I do indeed have an organ that is not operating as it should, so the doctor will be operating instead, oh joy. I must say that I have felt much better having a diagnosis and a path forward. I have read some things that say there can be some unpleasant side-effects of the surgery, but in only about 5% of cases. Those were the same odds that I would end up with less than perfect vision after Lasik and I ended up with 20/20. I guess that makes me a gamblin' man!

2 Comments:

Blogger eric keck said...

come on, we always knew you were a gambling man...

but just in case, we'll be praying for ya

5:09 AM  
Blogger randall said...

Haha, I'll bet a double flag on that one! Thanks Eric!

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home