Monday, August 16, 2004


So I made it back from California again (lovely business trips) and I am ready to give up diving altogether. I did three shore dives, two at Pt. Lobos and a night dive in Monterey. My dive buddy said on the way there, "Hey, did you hear about the Great White sighting off of Del Monte Beach last week?" so as soon as I get in the water I'm thinking "crap, there might be sharks here!" That is so first-year-diving mentality that I was ashamed of myself. My buddy could tell I was stressed and I told him why and that I must just be out of the habit.

My next two dives were almost equally as stressful, even though we saw things like monster scallops, monkey-face eels and lots of critters. It is so beautiful out there and I usually think "what an amazing God that creates such splendor that so few humans get to see and I am so privileged to get to experience it," but this time I'm thinking there might be a shark tooth with my name on it. I know I'm whining, but like Keck says, this is a blog, right? I got an e-mail from my buddy today and he wrote: "BTW, obviously diving isn't your main hobby any more." Maybe I'll take up cow-tipping.

4 Comments:

Blogger Scuba Angel said...

Hey dont be giving up diving, sharks are magnificent if youre lucky enough to see them in open water. Great white and hammer heads are my target species currently

2:26 PM  
Blogger randall said...

Hi Scuba Angel and thanks for the encouragement! You
know I knew how silly I was while I was thinking about
sharks, and all fear vanished as soon as I submerged,
just like ALL my cares do everytime I dive. It's one
of the things that keeps me going back and the reason
I would NEVER give it up. Don't mind my whining, I was
just bummed at myself for letting things get to me
that I knew I shouldn't. Be sure and think of me as
you knock back your next pint of whatever you like
best as I'll be diving again at my next opportunity!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Randall! Y'know there were 3 people diving that day. I would've loved to have been on that night dive tho. See you Wednesday
Dave - SJDiver2001

3:14 PM  
Blogger randall said...

Hello "Anonymous" SJDiver! Sorry, I had not meant to exclude you by not mentioning you in the post. Like I said, I was just whining (yes, I'll have some cheese with that). It was actually a teriffic dive and I look forward to the next trip!

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home