Ok, I keep getting hit with the feeling lately that I just don't get it. Here I rant about the de-christianization of our country lately and write the previous post, and then I read on Eric's blog that the perceived right here in America to have our cake and eat it too is just another face of "triumphalism." He has a very valid point and aren't we just continuing to alienate those of other beliefs by saying it's our America given right to force our degenerated version of the Christmas holiday (along with National Christmas Trees and shopping mall bell ringers) down unbelievers throats? Is this another version of saying that we are the salt, when the cake recipe calls for sugar? I seem to have a tendency to always want to be right, even though I seldom am.
I missed another one when I was offended by an article in the Idaho Statesman newspaper last week. I, with a lot of other people in letters to the editor, thought that people who couldn't afford a $7 parking ticket probably shouldn't be parking in places where they might get one. My first thought was this group should have given the money to the poor or even the Salvation Army that had their kettles kicked out of the Target Stores. Apparently our pastor at the Vineyard even got hate mail over it. I felt really bad for him and I also felt as I was telling my wife about it that I had entirely missed the point. Again.
I felt particularly rebuked as our pastor said a lot of the letters said "couldn't the money have been better spent on the poor?" and a guy behind me said, "that's just what Judas said." Ouch. It was an excersise in the demonstration of grace, and don't the people that gave the money for that purpose have a right to use it how they want? Matthew 20:15, 16 says "Is it not lawful for me to do what I wish with my own things? Or is your eye evil because I am good?' 16 So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen." Like our pastor said, "it's an upsidedown gospel and some people just won't get it." Lord, let me get it!
Randall's Blog:
A place for inspection and introspection




1 Comments:
Augh! (as Charlie Brown would say ;) I think that's my point. I am just missing this grace thing. I thought I got it and I've even taught on it, and then I miss it like the proverbial train that has just left the station.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home