Tuesday, February 01, 2005

Discipleship. What does that mean? I have heard a lot of people from different backgrounds talk about discipling others or being discipled themselves. I know it means different things to different people (and even denominations. No, I am not a "protestant" Thom!) and in the past I had assumed that it what it meant was a lot like what my relationship with God meant. Just hang out and things will happen, so to speak.

I have been giving a lot of thought to the "intentionality" of my actions (or inactions) lately. Perhaps there is a different approach that I could or should be taking, especially when it comes to "discipling" my kids, and even my own spiritual discipline.

As a result of some disciplinary issues (disciplinary/discipling, interesting…) I thought it best to try some discipling techniques with my sons. I asked a coworker (there’s that ‘community’ thing, right Eric?) what ‘techniques’ he uses and he told me about the use of a journal as a tool. I have found this to be an effective tool in my own spiritual growth, so it makes sense. He said that he has his ‘student’ keep a journal and that they should use it to list their goals, both long-term and short term in the areas of personal and spiritual growth. He also has them use it to write down questions they have in general, and specifically about the reading he has them do, whether the bible or a growth-oriented book of their choice. They are also to write their prayers and prayer requests, and anything else they want to either write about or talk about. They then meet weekly to discuss progress and journal entries, without asking to read their journal. It is kept private, but they are held accountable for using it.

This works a little different with my kids, since I am ‘instructing’ them to do this task. In my friend Jason’s case, he only disciples people that come and ask for it specifically. We will see what the results are. I wrote in my own journal last night (and in this ‘web-journal’ now!) that I don’t have high initial expectations since we are all given to procrastination, but at least it’s a start! Lord help me to follow through.

3 Comments:

Blogger eric keck said...

very cool, will they blog :)

10:21 AM  
Blogger randall said...

A web journal? Now what an interesting thought! ;)

11:18 AM  
Blogger randall said...

My friend Jason just sent me the following e-mail after I had him read this post:

Here's some scriptures that I think apply to discipleship.

1) we are commanded to disciple

Matthew 28:19-20 "Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, (20) "teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen.

The disciples understood that to make a disciple was to go and do to other what Jesus did to them; a) love them, b) teach God's Words to them, c) spend time with them, d) train them, e) commit your life, time, and energy to them, f) intercede for them, g) die for them.

2) the purpose of discipling is to bear fruit for the Father.

John 15:1-17 "I am the true vine, and My Father is the vinedresser. (2) "Every branch in Me that does not bear fruit He takes away; and every branch that bears fruit He prunes, that it may bear more fruit. (3) "You are already clean because of the word which I have spoken to you. (4) "Abide in Me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in Me. (5) "I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. (6) "If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. (7) "If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. (8) "By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples. (9) "As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. (10) "If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. (11) "These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. (12) "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. (13) "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends. (14) "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you. (15) "No longer do I call you servants, for a servant does not know what his master is doing; but I have called you friends, for all things that I heard from My Father I have made known to you. (16) "You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you. (17) "These things I command you, that you love one another.

3) the purpose of being a disciple is to be like Jesus -

Luke 6:40 "A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher.

4) the purpose of being a disciple is to be separated/devoted to Jesus -

Luke 14:26-27, 33 "If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own life also, he cannot be My disciple. (27) "And whoever does not bear his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. … (33) "So likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot be My disciple.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home