Monday, December 25, 2006

Call him Mr. Relevant.

I was just reading highlights of the Pope's Christmas speech and this guy just gets it. Like him or hate him, revere him or despise him, I was just really impressed by Pope Benedict's compassion for humanity and the recognition of the "Spirit of the age." I was hoping to find a transcrip or video of the entire speech, but you can refer to the news article here. I have put in some of the things I particularly like below:

"Is a 'Saviour' still needed by a humanity which has reached the moon and Mars and is prepared to conquer the universe; for a humanity which knows no limits in its pursuit of nature's secrets and which has succeeded even in deciphering the marvelous codes of the human genome?"

He appealed for peace and justice in the Middle East, an end to the brutal violence in Iraq and to the fratricidal conflict in Darfur and other parts of Africa, and expressed his hope for "a democratic Lebanon."

People continue to die of hunger and thirst, disease and poverty, in this age of plenty and of unbridled consumerism," he said from the central balcony of Christendom's largest church.

"Some people remain enslaved, exploited and stripped of their dignity; others are victims of racial and religious hatred, hampered by intolerance and discrimination, and by political interference and physical or moral coercion with regard to the free profession of their faith.

"Others see their own bodies and those of their dear ones, particularly their children, maimed by weaponry, by terrorism and by all sorts of violence, at a time when everyone invokes and acclaims progress, solidarity and peace for all."


Merry Christmas.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very well said Pope. I agree, it would be good if we could get back to wholesome basics and forget worrying about one uping our neighbors...

8:45 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home