Took Toby and went to see these guys in concert last night. What can I say, it was absolutely incredible! We sat stage left seven rows up from the floor even with the level of the stage. We sat all the way against the railings and were able to look over them at the crew and Lifeson's guitar tech. We were no more than about 30 feet from the stage and if we had been any closer we would've been on the stage with them! Toby and I agreed that this was definitely the best concert we have ever seen (of course I have seen a few more than him) and these guys are at the top of their form. They played dead on as only craftsmen with over 30 years of professional experience can bring. Yes they are older and no Geddy can't hit the wailing high notes he once could, but he has developed more depth and control than he's ever had and oh boy can he still hit screaming high notes!
The light show was amazing with lasers, colored spots, pyrotechnics (that included fireworks, explosions and jets of flames that came close to cooking the spotlight technicians up in the rigging!) and of course their giant on-screen video that ranged from surreal to thought provoking to hysterical! It was just too cool to be able to see the fret work of these amazing musicians and to see them obviously having fun with the audience and crew even on songs that I told Toby "he sure doesn't play this like he's sick of playing it for the millionth time." It was simply a blast and one I was very happy to share with my son who obviously appreciated it nearly as much as I did. I did remark to Toby that it was funny to see so many people bringing their kids to see a band that was popular when they were their kids age!
Added: There is actually a pretty decent fan video of the same concert from the '07 leg of the tour here. At least to give you something of an idea what the concert looked like. Of course it's nothing like being there. Duh.
Randall's Blog:
A place for inspection and introspection




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home