Wednesday, July 16, 2008

I went and taught the STAR class out in Shoshone this last weekend. Teaching STAR continues to be one of the most rewarding and satisfying things in my life right now. Somehow the combination of the camaraderie with the other instructors and staff together with doing something that helps others to be safer on the road and to do something that they want to do and enjoy doing brings a sense of fulfillment that I have not experienced anywhere outside of short-term mission trips.

It's funny because for a while I thought I would commit to going full time into missions after taking a few trips with the "Arms of Love" organization and helping to build schools and homes for kids that were forced to live on the streets for a number of reasons. This didn't seem to pan out as it wasn't something that would be easy to do with a 5-person family and a not-so-big social network. It was great to do something that was worthwhile and appreciated and that is what reminds me of the work I am now doing with STAR. Perhaps it isn't so important in the eternal perspective, but it certainly is amazing to have a perfect stranger come up to me in a restaurant and have them say "omigosh you are a STAR instructor! I saw the patch on your motorcycle jacket and I had to come tell you that what I learned in your class literally saved my life this weekend! I was going down the road when..." I have heard that several times already. I also enjoy the comments we get on our course evaluations that are completed by the students at the end of class. One of them this weekend said "I had never even sat on a motorcycle before this weekend (aside: our beginner course is designed to teach people with no experience) but after this class I have learned the skills to go out and buy my own bike and begin to practice what you guys have taught me on my own. You guys are terrific, thanks so much!"

I love this job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home