Ok, I have to explain that this came about while reading a kids-meal bag riddle to my kids where it asked which monkey that humans are most closely related to and I said "Why Sea Monkeys, of course!" My kids then asked me to tell them the story of my experience with Sea Monkeys when I was growing up. I guess they remembered me saying something about it.
The story goes like this: growing up as a kid in the '60's (yes, I'm that old) there were always ads in the comic books for you to send in and get your very own Sea Monkey set, just like the picture above. They would have ads where it would show comic children teaching their Sea Monkeys how to do tricks to "amaze their friends" like swimming through hoops and such. So my siblings and I pooled our money and sent away for them (probably a whole $1.25 + shipping and handling or something) and after many, many, many weeks of anxiously awaiting them in the mail, they finally arrived! We found that they came in a little pouch of dried powder that you had to mix with another pouch of Sea Monkey water purifier. After a few days they would begin to hatch. Sure enough, after a few days something did begin to appear. They were pretty small at first, but after a while they began to get bigger and we began to recognize a familiar form to these "magical creatures." In fact, they looked exactly like the brine shrimp that we would buy at the aquarium store to feed to our tropical fish. We were so disappointed. Not for long, however. We knew exactly how to deal with our disappointment: into the aquarium they went. My those Sea Monkeys could suddenly swim fast! And what marvelous tricks they performed trying to escape their quickly approaching fate!
Now here's one that's almost as funny as the Gallery of Regrettable Foods. They have a Sea Monkey Worship webpage! I am so tempted to post my story to their SEA-MONKEY® WALL O' GRIEF page. No, as Dave Barry would say, I am not making this up!
Oh, I almost forgot, they now have their very own 21st Century SEA-MONKEY® website! So your kids too can experience the joy of brine shrimp! Except now instead of $1.25 they are a mere 18 dollarinos for hours of watery fun! It's a "Live Sea-Circus!"
Randall's Blog:
A place for inspection and introspection




2 Comments:
Ya know, they had those in Germany, too...
http://www.perfect-pets.de/product_info.php?cPath=21_24&products_id=129
I got a kit once with Gizmo magazine...
FISH FOOD I TELL YA!!!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home