More on the TKD developments:
I got to TKD class early yesterday thinking I would get a good work-out since I had to teach two classes the day before. Our chief instructor had other plans though as we spent quite a while discussing the new Eagle studio. Get this: he even asked me if I would be interested in doing it full time as a career! I told him that I was flattered and loved the idea of doing something that I considered 'fun' as a full-time career, but I didn't see how I could give up my current career when it is going so well, provides more than adequately for my family and has so many benefits (especially insurance, bonuses, paid vacations and 401k). I told him I honestly didn't think that a position in TKD could compete (although the idea was intriguing!). He did say that he would want to compensate me for working at the new studio though, and even suggested a 'profit-sharing' opportunity where I invest time and then receive a share of profits once the studio starts to do well! Interesting stuff. He asked if I thought I would be able to commit to nine hours a week and I told him possibly, but we would still need to look at number of students and classes that we would have. I told him that I imagined I would need to be there more at the beginning until we get things organized, up and running, and then once we have some more potential instructors identified I would cut back. I also told him that I want Toby to become more involved and that I see it as a great educational experience for him to begin to learn about teaching and business.
After our discussion he told me how he likes to have his instructors do a 'leadership program' training where they teach 8 sessions with a mentor and then get feedback from them. He then threw me into the adult advanced class (that I was planning on participating in last night) and he and his other instructor took notes and gave me feedback afterwards. All of the students told me afterwards what a great job I had done (it was still very challenging as it was the night before) and I had a lot of fun. I am supposed to meet him this afternoon at the new location to do a walk-through.
To be continued...
Randall's Blog:
A place for inspection and introspection




0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home